Jamie Oliver, a highly-acclaimed chef, is here to share with us a great recipe that is not only healthy, but also easy to do. Today, we’re going to take a look at a Turkey salad that Jamie calls the “LA-Style” turkey salad.
The reasoning behind the name is that Jamie Oliver marries Mexican flavors with California vegetables. I really love Jamie Oliver’s recipes because they are easy to follow, and they not only look good and taste great, but it is a healthy and hearty meal as well.
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 skinless free-range turkey breasts, or about 600g free-range chicken, if you prefer
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 tablespoons fat-free plain yoghurt
- 2 limes, plus extra to serve
- 1 fresh jalapeno or red chilli
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 rashers of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon
- 1 cos lettuce
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 1-2 prink or red grapefruit
- mixed baby cress, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place a griddle pan over a high heat. Mix the cayenne pepper, paprika, white pepper and oregano with a good pinch of sea salt and a little oil and rub all over the turkey breasts. Put the turkey in the pan, turn the heat to medium, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, make the salad and dressing. Halve, destone and peel one of the avocados, then blitz in a blender with the yoghurt, lime juice, chilli, most of the coriander and a good drizzle of oil until you have a creamy dressing. Season to taste, add a splash of water to loosen, if needed, then set aside.
- Slice the corn tortilla into 1cm strips, place onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for a few minutes, until golden and crisp.
- When your turkey is almost cooked, add the bacon to the pan for the last few minutes to crisp up. Once done, transfer the turkey to a board to rest, then thinly slice.
- Cut the lettuces into wedges, then crudely toss in a bowl with the turkey and avocado dressing, then scatter over a board. Crumble over the bacon, add the tortilla strips, then use a spoon to scoop out little nuggets of the remaining avocado and add these.
- Peel and segment the grapefruit, then scatter over the board with the cress (if using), and the remaining coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
- Serve and Enjoy!
With only 301 calories each serving it is a very healthy and hearty meal! Also, each serving has 21.6 grams of protein, 18.5 grams of carbohydrates and 3.3g of saturated fat.
Since the holidays are coming, this is a perfect dish if you want to have a very healthy meal for you and your family. Quick and easy, the LA-Style Turkey Salad is a must-try.